Thursday, January 22, 2009

Never Regret What You Did, Regret What You Didn't Do

Many people believe in different mottos and how to view life.  I firmly believe that we should never regret what we did, only what we didn't do.  If we don't live life fully and try new things, we will be unable to experiment, to find new things that we like/dislike, or to have new things to talk about with family and friends.   We have to learn from trying new things to discover whether we would like to do them again or not.  However, if we live life afraid of trying new things, of having new experiences, of taking risks and sometimes just following our gut feelings, we will never learn.  We will live life in a routine, like a robot; possibly finding out years later that life has been boring and without meaning.  

I myself have done things in the past that I regret.  I know I regret them because I tried something new, and in doing so, my expectations were not met, my feelings were hurt, or I quite possibly simply didn't like the results.  However, I tried.  I can explain to people why it is I like "that" or not.  

On the other hand, I have done things in the past that I do not regret.  They have been experiences that had positive outcomes.  I've met new people, worked in other areas than those that I had always worked in.  I have lived in different places and learned different languages. Even though trying something new is scary, I learned.  I met people that are significant and have changed my life.  I have met others that I did not get along with or have anything in common, so I just learned what I could from the time we spent together, and moved on.  


Therefore, try new things.  Don't be scared.  Take risks.  Live.  Learn.  And remember, never regret what you did, just what you didn't do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment